Monday, October 22, 2012

SPEND HALLOWEEN WITH COFFIN HOP MEET NEW AUTHORS AND WIN GREAT PRIZES!



COFFIN HOP MAIN PAGE

LINK TO COFFIN HOP AUTHOR PAGES


Welcome to my Coffin Hop post and contest. You can enter here to win one of four prizes:



1)  “Collector’s EP” (electronic preview)  of the upcoming Coffin Hop: Death By Drive-In anthology.This will be fulfilled by our host, The Coffin Hop. Click HERE for more information.


2) A signed copy of my 2008 self-published horror collection On the Verge of Madness--more information is provided below.







3) An electronic copy of my new e-book release Silhouette of Darkness--also described below.










4) A Print Copy of HAUNTED by Pill Hill Press. 42 stories of haunted places, including the original version of my ghost story,"The Blues in A minor," now collected in Silhouette of Darkness. For more information, see this book's Amazon Page here: HAUNTED

Rules to the contest are at the end of this post.


HALLOWEEN is near, and this month I have posted some horrifying and fun stories and poems contributed by some very special guests. SEE MY PREVIOUS POSTS BELOW FOR THEIR STORIES AND POEMS

My self-publishing debut, On the Verge of Madness, includes "Masque Profane." Halloween will never be the same for Rhonda after the events she narrates in this story. It all begins with the arrival of a mysterious letter she tries to discard:

Walking down the driveway with renewed vigor, the subject of Jeff’s mysterious mail was all but forgotten. However, fate intervened when I reached the street to begin my walk. In that moment, I just happened to look at the garbage can Jeff had dragged out for its weekly collection. I was only scanning to my right, but then focused for an instant on the item that was lying atop the heap of that week’s waste—the letter.

In that instant, I felt paralyzed, as though my entire existence was wrapped around this one moment of confusion, enlarged and agonizingly prolonged in time. My heart palpitated and my temples throbbed as the unsolved mystery of that infernal letter weighed down upon me again. As I stared at the curious border once more, those same strange hieroglyphs noted the day before became reanimated, dancing about to an unknown and unhallowed rhythm, and I then heard a voice calling out to me, softly and seductively, as my name formed again upon the envelope.

That whispering and inviting voice caused me to impulsively remove the envelope from the trash. Another voice within me told me not to do this. I was invading Jeff’s privacy. But then the other, more convincing voice, reminded me that if Jeff wanted the envelope’s contents kept private he would not have disposed of it so carelessly. I opened it and inside was an invitation that read:

Masque Profane
Halloween Night
Same Time and Place
Regrets Only Need Respond.

Below that simple message was a strange image that resembled--of all things I can think of to describe it--some kind of Tiki one buys from Hawaii as a gift to that person that already has everything. While that was the first worldly referent that crossed my mind, this figure seemed far more sinister than that as I stared at, evil perhaps. Its face was twisted in a grotesque expression, and the longer I looked upon it the more profane and hateful it seemed, as though capable of an intense violation of my being from some hellish place that existed on the other side of that thin piece of cardboard.

As I felt the envelope slip from my hand, I realized it was possible after all to know a person for three years and still not know their deepest secrets.



To find out more, check out On the Verge of Madness.










NOW AVAILABLE FROM MUSA PUBLISHING:





Buy Direct from Publisher
When the Blight overwhelms the earth, humanity's only defense is to stay awake from dusk until dawn. Tonight, Sean will learn how lethal insomnia is in this new world.
In "Fatal Insomnia" and other stories in Silhouette of Darkness, author George Wilhite explores the horror in unusual places.
Enter this dark realm and experience first-hand “a writer that makes a much-needed contribution to this genre, giving us weird fiction/neo-pulp fiction fans something to sink our teeth into that brings to mind that lost age of fiction.” (Bitten by Books)

BUY LINKS:

Direct from Publisher
Amazon Kindle
Smashwords

Follow this book on Goodreads

Excerpt from “Fatal Insomnia”

Sean had seen the monstrosity once, more than a year ago, out of the corner of his eye as he ran for shelter, but when The Blight appeared in the doorway, even he was not prepared for it.

The Blight was a whirlwind, its original vortex obscured by all the victims sucked into it, forced to become elements of its profane evolution. In the doorway, a mass of human flesh swirled in a grotesque dance. Some entire bodies were visible, but most of the souls harvested by The Blight were reduced to severed limbs, organs, eyeballs, faces frozen in living death.

Tank, that indestructible, no fear badass, stood silent and pale, his mouth and eyes gaping open.

The Blight bellowed, sounding like a hundred elephants trumpeting.
It hurled Tank backwards. The house rattled with intense violence. Soaked in sweat, heart pounding, Sean saw in Paula and Jed’s expressions the same fear he was sensing. Would this be the night The Blight would rip our house to shreds?

A new horror appeared in the doorway. From within the whirlwind emerged a black scaly appendage. Sean gaped in revulsion. The Blight’s tongue? The others stood a few paces behind Tank.
The tongue-like tentacle snaked around Tank’s ankle.

“We have to do something!” Sean crept towards the door.

Jed walked forward as well.

Each step was a struggle due to the wind gusting through the doorway. Sean was glad Paula stayed behind. Someone might as well survive if Jed and I just offered ourselves up to this thing.

The Blight made a sucking sound. Dark gelatin oozed from the appendage, covering Tank. Sean retched as the stench of rotten meat filled the room. Tank dissolved, his blood oozing all over the floor.

An instant later, what was left of Tank was whisked into the night.

AND NOW---THE RULES OF THE COFFIN HOP CONTEST:

Anyone can enter the contest by doing two things:

1) Post a comment on the blog. You can leave me feedback on the blog itself (much welcome since I am new to this venture), comment on your experience with Coffin Hop, or say something about your Halloween experiences.

2) Follow this blog by ENTERING YOUR EMAIL in the "FOLLOW BY EMAIL" BOX at the top of the blog. If you are already a follower and/or a friend on Facbook, mention that in your blog comment.

The contest begins at Midnight, October 24, 2012 and ends at Midnight October 31, 2012.

Three random winners will be chosen from those who followed the rules above.

1) First I will choose the winner of the Coffin Hop "Collector's EP." This winner is also eligible to win my free books. This prize will be fulfilled by the administrators of the main page of the Coffin Hop in electronic format.

2) I will then choose the winners of my contest.

The first two winners can choose either the signed print copy of On the Verge of Madness or an electronic copy of my new ebook release Silhouette of Darkness.

The final winner chosen will win the print copy of Haunted by Pill Hill Press.

Please be sure to provide your email address in your comment so I can contact you.

You will need to provide a shipping address for any print book won. If you an e-book, it can be provided in PDF, e-pub (Nook) or Kindle formats.

The winners will be announced on this blog and my facebook page on November 1, 2012.

Thanks for participating and good luck!


LINK BACK TO COFFIN HOP MAIN PAGE

LINK BACK TO COFFIN HOP AUTHOR PAGES

CLICK HERE TO VISIT THE COFFIN HOP STORE

Pick up all of your ghastly goods, creepy clothing, sinister swag and macabre merch. for Coffin Hop, the  #1 Indie Horror Author online event. 100+ Masters of Horror! 7 Days of Terror! Proceeds go towards the costs of producing the COFFIN HOP 2012: DEATH BY DRIVE-IN anthology. The proceeds of the anthology (and excess profits from this store) will be donated to www.readingtree.org.

14 comments:

  1. Hi George--nice to see another Musa author on this hop. Good luck with your books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'From within the whirlwind emerged a black scaly appendage.' A.F. Stewart beat me here again... I can only agree, these are excellent excerpts to what sound like great reads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to those who have stopped by so far and I'm glad you enjoyed the excerpts. I tried to choose totally different stories from each of the books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Coffin Hop. It lets a bunch of us let our horror flag fly for all the world to see! Nice to meet you George.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. brentabell,
      I agree. I have been in some blog hops before but never one that was 100% horror. I was stoked to find out about this one in time.

      Delete
  5. Great excerpts George! Love the imagery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool (and I just followed you by email). ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great stuff, George. This is really the time of year that lovers of horror can come out to play :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting excerpts! Great blog hop! I'm finding a lot of new to me authors. Happy Halloween! I'm an email subscriber cheryllynne(at)rocketmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved the excerpts....very descriptive. I have subscribed as lindahl at rogers dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that invitation! Masque Profane seems right up my alley. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Jason. Things get pretty crazy for her when she follows her hubby to the event!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah I won something! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete