Friday, June 22, 2012

Ron Koppelberger, author of "Raven's Blood" chats about his writing

Raven's Blood

by Ron W Koppelberger
A Book of dark and dreamlike poetry. Imagine a world of dreams. Imagine a world where shadow and light combine to create an image painted in whispers, in silent contemplation, in dreams of what is and what has been. Imagine a selection of dark poetry that stirs the soul and captures the innermost wont of our desires and aspirations. Raven's Blood is a collection of poetry created in hours of silent contemplation and wonder. Come imagine the world in half-lit splendor and often with just a touch of fear.


Ron Koppelberger began writing when he was ten years old, his grandparents gave him his first typewriter. He has written 103 books of poetry and 18 novels. He has published 682 poems, 736 short stories and 143 pieces of art in over 256 periodicals, anthologies and books as well as in 11 radio broadcasts. He loves to write and nothing thrills him more than seeing his work in print. " The creative process is a thrill for me as is influencing the reader in a positive way, in a thought provoking way. One of my primary goals involves touching the reader and giving them a gift, the gift of a long forgotten memory or perhaps a special insight that may not have been apparent."

Ron stops by my blog today to discuss some aspects of his writing.

Welcome, Ron. We are acquainted through Static Movement. I believe you have appeared in every themed anthology I have edited for them, and almost all your submissions were poetry and flash fiction. Do you enjoy writing longer stories and novels? Which do you prefer and why?

I enjoy writing flash fiction because it allows for me to get the idea on paper,  quickly and in a short bursts.  I feel that some of the best and most profound fiction is flash fiction,  of course nothing beats the involvement of writing a novella or a novel or even a longer story.  Poetry is kind of like flash fiction to me,  I have written 103 books of poetry and it comes to me like eating or sleeping.  The idea is to get the image on paper,  to give the reader something to look at with words and emotions.  I feel I can do this effectively with a good piece of poetry.  Ultimately I don't have a preference,  the writing in whatever form is a catharsis for me and I enjoy it with a passionate affection.    

What is your writing process? Are you a full-time writer? How often do you write?

I write at night,  or in the morning.  My day begins around 1 or 2 A.M. in the morning and continues on throughout the day, sometimes as late as 8 P.M.  I enjoy the privacy of early morning hours and most of my really good writing takes place in the early hours of the morning.  I am a full time writer and poet,  I like to devote 6 to 8 hours a day writing and sending in submissions.  As far as writing I try to devote some time every day to writing,  I think that writers who say they don't have enough time are joking,  you can accomplish a great deal with only two or three hours of writing a day.

Who are some of your favorite writers and why? Do you read a lot? Do you think that’s important for a writer?

I am a big fan of Lovecraft, Poe, Bradbury, King, Koontz, Straub, and others to numerous to mention.  I enjoy the writers listed because I can connect to them at some level.  A good book is an adventure,  an emotional experience that is meant to enrich us in spirit and soul,  that's what I look for in a writer.  I read as often as possible,  I believe a good writer has to be a reader first.  Experience comes with reading and the experience teaches us how to communicate better,  more effectively.    

Where do you see the horror genre headed in the next ten years?

I think the craft of horror writing and writing in general is headed for new horizons,  with Kindle and Nook the profession is getting a shot in the arm.  I think that a burgeoning company like Static Movement for example is a writer's greatest asset,  one of mine for certain.  The field of horror is subject to societies evolution and it's continuing desire for the genre.  I think the field of online and electronic endeaver are just begining to be created and that birth is an advantage to the aspiring Horror writer and poet.

What are you working on now?

I just finished a book of Dark Poetry called Raven's Blood (Available through Create Space-see my link above-gw-),  and I am currently working on my next volumn titled "A Butterfly Whispers".  In addition I find myself working on the new Static Movement Anthologies and with several of the new editors.  Within the next year or so I am hoping to publish the first installment of my epic poem called "August Snow".  

No comments:

Post a Comment