Sunday, May 20, 2012

Static Movement: A Great Place for Beginning Writers

With this blog, I do a bit of "paying forward" to Chris Bartholomew and my other fellow editors at Static Movement. Why? Because this publisher of themed anthologies played a huge role in my development of a writer.

The concept of Static Movement (SM) is simple. Chris, myself, and other editors develop a theme for an anthology and post a call for submissions on SM's own message board, as well as at Duotrope's Digest and Ralan.

We make it clear in the calls for subs and the contracts that the anthologies are for EXPOSURE ONLY, no pay, no free copies. Now, this might send some writers running for the hills, but exposure is important, nonetheless. Also, you get the benefit of working with an editor in a less competitive, supporting environment, to help make your story shine.

Working with these editors, and then becoming an editor myself and working with the other writers, made my own writing stronger and built up my confidence to approach professional paying markets.

If you're a speculative fiction writer looking for a home for your stories or a reader looking for some great horror anthologies to check out, follow the link above to experience Static Movement.

Below is the link to a trailer for my interview which provides more information about one of my SM anthologies, Monster Gallery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8woTweZTjU


Link directly to the interview: http://joeypinkney.com/amazoncom/5-minutes-5-questions-with-george-wilhite-editor-of-monster-gallery.php

No comments:

Post a Comment